Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brock has been sent home


Well Ady has finally been allowed to spend time with her new brother and we can see that it will take some time for her to adjust to him and the whole concept of him being part of the family. As you can see in this first photo, Ady doesn't want to touch Brock, or even be near him, or even smile for the picture. Yesterday, the hospital discharged Brock and we were told to take him home. Since Kasey has the flu I asked the hospital if we could just keep him there one more day but they said no. Kasey's parents also have the flu so I called my parents and asked if we could come stay with them for a couple days while people recovered and we could keep Brock away from the pukers. So then yesterday found me and Ady at the hospital filling out paperwork to take Brock home. After several hours of meeting with doctors, filling out paperwork, and receiving training on the oxygen tank they were sending with us, they told us we could go.

During this time Ady had not one, but three meltdowns, all before we were off the hospital grounds. The first one came in the hospital room when I asked Ady if we could take the baby home with us. She immediately started balling and said "no I no want baby go home." After crying for a bit and taking a nap on a chair while I filled out paper work we finally made our departure. As we were walking out and went to pick up the car seat with Brock Ady then threw another tantrum. This one because I was carrying Brock and not her. She was screaming about wanting to be carried and why was I carrying the baby and not her. After I finally got her calmed down, I told her she either walked out or she was staying in the hospital by herself, Ady decided that she wanted to help carry Brock's car seat. So there we were walking down the hallway, three wide, me carrying Brock and Ady on the other side of the car seat, both hands on the seat and acting like she was about to pass out from the exertion of carrying her part of the car seat. I think the nurse that was wheeling the oxygen tank out behind us had a pretty good laugh about the whole ordeal.

When we got to the car I decided to move Ady's seat to the door that way she wouldn't poke or be able to reach Brock while I drove. Ady watched me move her seat, asked me what I was doing, and freaked out after I told her I was simply moving her seat to the side. I had no tolerance for her antics by this point, so I picked her up and forcibly strapped her in. The mistake I made was putting her directly behind my seat, Ady made sure I was well aware of her absolute disgust at not sitting in the center of the seat, not only did she scream and cry, but she kicked my seat relentlessly for a good 5 minutes. I tried reasoning with her while I drove, and I asked her what the problem was. I asked her if she could still see her Barney movie, which was playing on the dvd player, and she said through tears, "yes, but the baby can too, and I don't want to share my movie." I told Ady that Brock was facing backwards, was sound asleep and that he wasn't watching the movie. Ady didn't believe me, she kept telling me that he was watching the movie and she didn't want him too. By this time I was wondering how I was going to survive two kids.


Today has been a whole different experience. As you can see in this picture Ady is being very nice to her brother today. She has helped me change his diapers, held the bottle(quite firmly) for Brock when we feed him, got his binky a couple times(jammed it in his mouth once), told me when his oxygen tube slipped out of his nose(I came over just in time to see Ady trying to force both tubes up one nostril), and asked to hold him twice, and has kissed him and rubbed his head dozens of times, and my favorite was when she climbed up on the couch next to me and put her feet by his and said "look Dad, his feet are small, mine are big". We might survive being a family after all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone needs to have more than one child in the parenting experience!!WVaka

Five Bresees said...

We couldn't be happier for you guys!

Jennifer said...

How exciting! We are so happy for you guys. I am so glad that everything is going so well. Carissa had a hard time adjusting to having Landon, she took to biting his little fingers really hard. Luckily she grew out of that, but she still has a thing for grabbing his ears. Hope Kasey gets feeling better.

Tamaran said...

So glad Brock is out of the hospital. Sorry that Kasey is sick. Sounds like it has been an eventful week and a half. I love the last picture! Glad to hear Ady is adjusting. Having Taelyn struggle to adjust to the baby is one of my fears. I hadn't thought about moving her car seat prior to bringing the baby home...thanks for the heads-up!!

Cazier Connection said...

I am glad you got to bring Brock home! Now you can enjoy being a family. hope Kasey gets feeling better.

Tara said...

How exciting!! Glad to hear Brock is home. Hopefully Kasey will be feeling well soon. Poor Ady - sharing isn't much fun to begin with, but it will get better!

Van Tassell said...

We are so glad things are getting better. You guys are in our prayers. It's only up from here right?

Melissa and Justin said...

Adam I always love your stories, I would have to say that you handled those melt-downs very well. So happy Brock can finally be home and hopefully it doesn't take Kasey to long to get rid of her flu.
I do love when the older kids want to help carry the seat though, so cute even though it is more difficult.
Glad to hear Ady is adjusting though and good luck with it all!