Tuesday, June 2, 2009

computer and word things

So we got a new computer recently--an upgrade from our old Apple Laptop...We are now realizing how old the old one was. We got it when we left USU--that is like almost 5 years ago now. It's amazing how slow the old Laptop is now that we have a new faster better one! We can hardly stand how slow the old one is. Funny how it never really bugged us before!

Laptop--That reminds me too of the sign I saw posted out front of our apartment. It read something like "2GH Dell labtop for sale" Yes, labtop--this computer doesn't go on your lap, it goes on your lab--just make sure that you have that specific type of dog breed or it won't work! I just had to laugh. We live in such a culturally diverse area where English is not the native language for many here.

Then that sign made me think of another time I got an email at work from a student from Asia...It kept saying NT Bae... It took me a while to figure out he was referring to the director of his program who everyone calls "Auntie Bae" (in Hawaii if someone is older than you, they are your auntie or uncle no matter blood relation)

Then I remembered when I was barely on my mission, I had written a letter to my mission president in Korean. I thought I had done pretty good and I gave it to my Korean Companion, Ahn Kang Mi, to proofread. We were on the bus and before she could even get half way thru the letter she was hysterically laughing on the floor of the bus because of my broken Korean. I had no idea what was so funny to her. But now, I am understanding a bit and it is funny to me now too--not in a demeaning way...but in a sense that when you learn another language there are inevitable things that are not picked up naturally and they have to be learned. It's just sometimes you have to make the mistake first and then learn from it. I really have to respect all those brave students who have gotten or are getting thier education in a second language. What a challenge to take on!

2 comments:

The Songer said...

So this past semester I took Hula! It was so entertaining, because it was full of non-english/ English 2nd language speakers who would wear t-shirts made in their home countries that had the best sayings, that made no sense at all! I looked forward to those t-shirts every class period!

I too give a lot of credit to the EIL students, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy a good posting full of mistakes!

Brent and Cheryl VT said...

I, too, am always amazed at those who study in their non-native language. But, Iwa, you're vicious!!!