Thursday, February 19, 2009

Business Plan Competition


So for those of you who haven't talked to me or heard from me in a while, and may have noticed that Kasey has been doing all of the blogging, there is a reason. That is because I have been so busy and stressed that I haven't done much of anything besides school, work and work on my business plan. There is a competition in two weeks with a 15,000 dollar prize for first place. The competition is broken into sections a written plan and a presentation. In order to make it into the semi-finals and be able to present you have to have a good plan written. The deadline for submission of the written plan was today. Hence I have been very busy doing research and writing. Today is the first time in a couple of months that I'm not on the phone, or writing an email, or typing data into a spreadsheet, or trying to phrase an idea or theory so that someone who has no idea how the tourism industry in Minnesota works can understand what I am trying to do. Feels kinda nice to be done.
For those of you who don't know, we want to operate a family friendly outdoor recreation resort in Northern Minnesota. Since we are planning on buying a resort when we leave here I decided to write a plan and enter it in order to try and cover some of the cost of research and such. Hopefully I win enough money to pay for a trip to Minnesota to inspect a couple of properties and pay for a full feasibility analysis and audit of books for a resort or two. I have been busy putting a presentation together to pitch to possible investors/partners and am trying to raise a million dollars in capital. So we thought that this would be a good opportunity to help us prepare. I know, I know. A million dollars is a lot of money. Every time I say that people's eyes about jump out of their sockets. Now that I know how people will react I enjoy watching the eyes bug out. This is the logo that Kasey's mom made for us. We wanted something that sorta captured the essence of what we are trying to create. So if any of you know someone with a bunch of money who is looking for a good investment opportunity please let me know.

8 comments:

SAM and RACHEL said...

the logo looks nice

The Songer said...

Good luck with the Competition!

There is a Japanese man that is trying to turn Agriculture land in Waihole into a wilderness resort. The community of Waihole has been fighting it for some years and he has yet to turn hawaii's land into his cash cow.... I think you should go and find him and convince him to him to buy you a wilderness resort in Minnesota... not only will you both be happy... but the kama'aina of Waihole may just build you a altar!

Brent and Cheryl VT said...

I like the logo, too.

Tamaran said...

The logo is great!

The million dollars didn't suprise me that much. Colton is getting his MBA and then a PhD in finance. He is always talking about multi-million dollar schemes he is considering.

Good luck with the competition!!

Melanie said...

Good luck with the competition. You'll have to know how it turns out. I like the logo.

Anonymous said...

The logo looks ok I would not say great. I think that the paddles don't fit they distract. I would have her take them out. and I think I would rearrange the middle but besides that is looks good. Good luck with your competition. I will keep my fingers crossed for you

Justin and Melissa said...

Oh my word, I am so glad you found me. How are things? I have thought about calling you guys a few times lately to see how you were but it was late and I thought you were still in Florida. Your little girl is so cute! Oh and I read about how she doesn't want to take naps and if you figure out how to get passed that could you pass it along because my 6 mo old thinks she is to old for naps already. Oh and Carol Haddock is my dads sister.

Justin and Melissa said...

Oh and by the way that business adventure sounds so sweet, if I had money I would invest, sorry that I don't. I like the logo a lot but I would have to agree that the oars are distracting where they are.