Sunday, October 17, 2010

Petting Sheep on Vacation

When we go to a Zoo Ady just wants to stay in the petting zoo. I guess it really shouldn't surprise us that at Mount Vernon she "had" to visit the sheep pen 3 times. This time, Brock also wanted to pet the sheep. Like his sister, he has no fear.

Mount Vernon was pretty neat. I wish that they would let you onto the 3rd floor and didn't hurry you through the house so quickly. I enjoyed learning about Washington as a farmer. I hadn't realized how much Washington had contributed to the world outside of politics and war heroics. I was thinking about men like Washington, Franklin, and Jefferson. Not only were they great men in history for their political achievements, but they were also inventors, and some of them were literary geniuses.
We went to the Udvar Air and Space Museum by Dulles Airport. It was neat to see planes and craft such as the Enterprise, Enola Gay, and many others. But this one was Ady's favorite. It was the "sharptooth plane".
We went to the Library of Congress, and it was amazing. Immediately after taking this picture I looked to my left and saw a sign that said "no photography". Oops. Seriously, I didn't know till after taking the picture. In my opinion this building is a top 5 for the D.C. area.

Of course we took a trip to the D.C. temple.
We also took time to go to a masonic temple. This is the George Washington National Masonic Memorial. Very interesting building and lots of neat information of Washington and his masonic history. In my opinion too much of the tour was based on "contrary to Dan Brown's novel" or "unlike what was shown in National Treasure", but still a good tour.
I don't think the tour guide meant to create interest in Dan Brown's books or in the National Treasure movies, but after learning about the Knight's Templar we did go and watch the first National Treasure movie that night.
This is the main great hall and has a big statue of Washington in his masonic robes. The neatest thing about this building was the architecture. The front of the building is built in Greek style, the 9 story central tower is Egyptian style and this hall is Roman.

No comments: