Wednesday, October 13, 2010

More vacation

Last night we drove out to Manassas/Bull Run National Battle Site Park. I really liked it. And then afterward we went and visited our good friends from Key West, the Johns. At first Ady and Betty didn't get along, mostly because Ady wasn't being very friendly, but when we left Ady was crying and pouting in the car because she didn't want to leave her new friend. And she didn't like leaving their cat either. However, the cat was probably very glad that Ady left. We didn't intend to be at their place so long, but we spent 5 hours just sitting around talking with them. Good friends are invaluable.

We enjoyed walking around the battlefield and looking at the cannons, old farm houses, and whatnot. But what Ady really liked was the caterpillar that I found for her. "Ooooh, look dad, so soft and nice". She carried the poor critter for about a half mile before I made her put it down. She liked feeling it crawl around, but definitely didn't like it when it pooped on her hand. I finally was able to convince her that the caterpillar had a family and needed to go home. She cried and cried telling me that she wanted to take it home for a pet. She said the caterpillar said that it wanted to be in our family. After the traumatic seperation, Ady pointed out every squirrel, and one praying mantis, and asked me if they also had a family. Yup, they do. Do they have a mommy and daddy like me? Yup. Is this there home? Yup. Are they in the same family as my pet caterpillar? Sure.

This is the stone bridge that was rebuilt shortly after it was destroyed in the battle. This would be where the Union army went across in the retreat. It was this bridge that the fleeing army encountered a turned over carriage from one of the spectators who had come out to view the battle.
Here's Brock enjoying being out in the nice sunshine.
Of course we walked over to where Brigadier General Thomas Jackson made his now famous stand and became immortalized as Stonewall Jackson. I tried to explain to Ady the significance of this part of the battle and a little about Stonewall. Ady stood there looking at me the whole time and when I finished just said, "Ooooh".
Here is Kasey, Ady and Brock standing by the statue of Stonewall Jackson.
We also spend another day wandering around the National Mall. I really liked seeing the Supreme Court building. So far we have been enjoying our little vacation and have really enjoyed seeing some family and friends. Ady and Brock have been good sports about all the running around and long car rides. Ady has provided a bit of amusement with bathrooms. A couple days ago Ady stood with me, in front of the men's restroom screaming that she was not going in to the potty unless the picture on the door had a dress. I almost let her just wet her pants in the hall. Fortunately she is small enough that she can be picked up and plunked down on the potty. However, she learns very quickly. Yesterday, when we were in the visitors center at Manassas Ady announced to everyone in the vicinity that she needed to go potty. The park ranger pointed to the sign and I reached for her hand. Ady said "no, I go by myself." And off she ran. I was able to convince her to go in the one without the dress picture, but she promptly ran into the stall and locked me out. So custodian was cleaning the mirror and seemed to be enjoying listening to Ady tell me that she didn't want me there and she had locked me out. He even liked it better when she said "dad I done pooping, please help me wipe". Of course I stood outside the stall and with a smile said, "no, you locked me out."

3 comments:

Fiagle Family said...

got to love kids :) they always know just want to say in public.

Tamaran said...

Fun pics.

We are just starting the potty joys. This morning Tae informed me she needed to go potty in the toilet. I was just finishing putting her hair in a hair tie. I said "OK, just a second." Apparently that wasn't good enough. Her response was "I peed in my panties." Guess that serves me right. Hopefully I'll figure this thing out sooner rather than later!

jay said...

don't you just love how kids behave one way but then you find out they are thinking something completely different!