Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter and Ady is a Copycat


Hi and Happy Easter from the Van Tassells. Ady loves to wave to everyone and say hi to anyone and anything she sees. Not only will she wave and say hi to strangers at the grocery store, but she says even says bye to the swings, the slide, the birds at the park, the mailbox, the car, you name it she will say hi and bye to it. She has her mouth closed and is not saying hi in the picture because she just bit through the top of the hard boiled egg she is supposed to be coloring and is trying to figure out if she should swallow the shell or spit it out. Don't worry she immediately dropped it in the coloring dye as soon as we were done with the picture. At our house we don't just dye the shell we end up with colored insides too!

These days Ady will try to do anything that I do. Sometimes she tries to copy her mom but usually just me. For instance, a few days ago while we were eating dinner I was talking to Kasey with my arms folded and I looked across the table at Ady and she had her arms crossed and was watching me. I realized I probably looked like I was about to pray and unfolded my arms. As soon as I did so, Ady did too. Noticing that Ady hadn't resumed eating I picked up my fork. Ady picked up hers. I put mine down, Ady put hers down. Then I put my hand on my head. Ady did the same. I opened my mouth, Ady copied. This went on for a minute or so. Mind you I hadn't cracked a smile during this whole thing and nor had Ady. Then I chuckled and Ady decided to outdo me and busted up laughing. We all laughed pretty hard. Seems harmless and playful right. Well not always. The other day I was carrying Ady cause we were in a hurry and her short legs may move really fast but the zigzaging back and forth weaving across the sidewalk takes forever to get anywhere. So I have her in my right arm and am being bothered by some phlegm in my throat. I look around, don't see anyone, hawk it up and spit in out on the grass. Ady not to be outdone makes some weird noise and spits. Problem was, she didn't spit on the grass, she spit all over me. A couple of nights ago all three of us were in the bathroom brushing our teeth and I noticed that the drain catch was getting plugged. So I reached down, pulled it our and cleaned it off. Looking down the drain a moment I noticed how dirty the first couple of inches of drain that could be seen were. After putting the catch back we left the bathroom. About 15 minutes later Kasey and I heard, "DAD, DAD, DAD" being screamed from the bathroom. There was no crying or any sign of danger, but we quickly moved into the bathroom. There we found Ady who had used the stepping stool to climb up into the sink and she was pointing at the drain. We moved closer and could see that she was holding the drain catch in one hand. She showed it to us with a smug confident look that said, "look I can take it out too". Then concern came back into her face and she pointed once again at the drain. Looking down the drain I could see her toothbrush and the remains of a bar of soap stuck several inches down the pipe. Not to worry, while we were looking, wondering what to do, she grabbed Kasey's toothbrush and made a move to stick it down the drain also. We stopped her and eventually I was able remove the lodged items. A final story for those of you who are still reading, we have come to the conclusion that Ady's copying of her Dad is seriously inhibiting our progress in the potty training. We have determined that she knows what her potty is for. And she knows what she is supposed to do. The problem lies in that when you get her in there and get her pants off, she stands next to it and pees. Her aim is absolutely atrocious and she gets pee all over the floor.
Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Tara said...

LOL!! Love the potty training story...how cute is that! Looks like Daddy gets to start sitting!
Oh what we do for our kids!
Tara

EJNielsen said...

LOL! Oh that's classic!

Tamaran said...

I have to agree with the first comment! Thanks for adding that bit, though! It got a full out laugh out of me-granted it turned into a coughing fit...but it started as laughter!

Melanie said...

:) She sure is cute. And getting so grown up! Happy Easter!

The Songer said...

She is too funny!

Try throwing some cheerios.. maybe her aim will get better! worked for my nephew!

Cazier Connection said...

Ady is getting cuter and cuter! Thanks for sharing such a funny post.

Justin and Melissa said...

haha those copycat stories are hilarious.