Thursday, December 11, 2008

the lake in front of our house


It's been about a year since Adam and I have heard thunder or seen lightning, not because it doesn't rain here, it just doesnt' lightning or thunder--usually. Last night however, we woke up to it and a bunch of rain. And now I am not at work(hallelujah!) because this is what the front of our apartment looks like. My boss said the road into work was a river and not even to try going. In my case, I walk to work, but as you can see in the picture, its up past my ankles here. It has been raining non-stop since early this morning, at about the pace of 4 inches per hour for several hours. Several of the apartment buildings in our complex have already flooded. It is supposed to stop this afternoon and we hope so because if it raises 2-3 more inches it will reach our front door. We are lucky we are on higher ground than some, but we are still on the bottom floor. There is a couple of feet of water where the roads are, and people are kayaking instead of driving down them. Adam was out helping some people this morning and said that there are cars under water. This morning Adam was helping in some houses that were waist deep in water inside their house. Lots of things have been ruined. I should mention it's not just water, here once things get flooded it backs up the sewage too. I added another picture of the wall of our building. see all the black spots? Those are bugs trying to escape too!

6 comments:

Tara said...

I hope you are surviving and escaping without any serious damage! Has it stopped yet? The bugs totally grossed me out! YUCK! By the way, I hear the coconut syrup there is the best - have you tried it?
Tara

Anonymous said...

Your side of the Island is a lot worse than ours. The water was only two inches off the ground in our yard when I got up to go to work. Let us know if you need anything. Killer didn't like going out this morning. She almost had to swim.

Lacey said...

Crazy! I hope your apartment is going to be ok. Let us know.

Brent said...

brings back memorys

Brent and Cheryl VT said...

Been there, done that! Welcome to winter in Hawaii, Kasey!

Tamaran said...

Wow! When you are in Utah, you forget how much it can rain elsewhere! I hope you two didn't have to deal with your appartment flooding. Let us know how it went. Oh, and I agree with the first comment. The bugs are gross...the # and the size.