Sunday, September 19, 2010

Being Domestic




I made Ady a dress. She even likes it. Here it is. It has pockets, a zipper, and sleeves. I also even made a scrunchy to match, and I even made me a skirt out of the same material. I think I am pretty proud of myself for doing it. It always feels nice to finish something. The fact that I know how to sew is something I should probly be more grateful for. I remember not liking sewing growing up. My mom taught me to sew, and then a few ladies from 4-H helped as well. I had to do a project or two every year for the fair. I usually got it done the night before it was due, had to unpick and sew everything five times, and was a big frustration to finish. Now that i am just trying some things on my own, for my family, with no time frame(other than my kid outgrowing it before I finish), and nobody to judge the inside to see if it was correctly sewn, it is not so bad. So thanks Mom for being persistent and giving me a talent to make and repair things. I think it is diminishing these days in the world, but is worth a lot.

Also, since staying home with the kids, I also get to hear alot of Ady and her funny sayings. The latest has been "Don't talk to me Pigtails." I don't know where she gets it, but whenever she doesnt' want to hear what I am telling her this is what she says. She will once in a while change pigtails with Sam(Sam-I-Am, from Green Eggs and Ham). So "don't talk to me Sam!"
Ady also says "I love you too" alot. You never have to say it first, but she always adds the too. The other day it was very funny because I wasn't real happy with her and was lecturing her and she just looks at me and says "I love you too, Mom" all sincere. It was one of those times you just have to stop and think and laugh. I'm glad she knows she is loved no matter what.
The last funny thing, I think I can blame on Adam; whenever Ady or Brock may do something not quite convenient, like spill milk all over, he'll say "oh, Kid!" Well Ady has also picked it up. It is so funny to hear something go not quite right for her and she'll yell out "oh, Kid!"

Some of you may have noticed that this is my first blog post in quite a while...more than a half year to be exact. We have had a lot of crazy or unexpected things happen this year. Adam is the one who has all the credit for keeping our posts updated. I am glad he does. Adam has been a rock thru all of it and I am really glad that he is a team blogger with me and picks up my slack. Plus, he is a good writer as well. If I could only get him to finish writing that book he started!

7 comments:

Tara said...

Glad you are back to blogging again! Super, super cute dress!! See, 4-H sewing does pay off (keep telling me that while I try to bribe my six 4-h girls to sign up and sew with me again this year!!! :)

EmmaJ said...

Ah, 4-H sewing. I was always surrounded by super talented kids, (which I so wasn't) so much so that I thought everyone learned how to sew in the forth grade. Imagine my shock when I met people who couldn't even thread a machine! Glad I have the skills I do though.

Fiagle Family said...

Wow sewing! I am with you on sewing growing up. My mom always hated that I slopped threw to get something done and figured it was good enough. It looks awesome

Brent and Cheryl VT said...

The dress turned out cute! I agree with about Adam's book; maybe this is the year to do it.

The Songer said...

hah! Love the title, i had a whole conversation a week ago with myself, on how the whole meaning of domestic has now changed!

4-h... i still have nightmares about it, Did you have to model your sewn outfits too!... but i too am so grateful that i can sew! Love the material and her cute dress! Dont stop sewing!

EJNielsen said...

That's Ady?! She's so grown up! Are you guys in UT? We're here living with mom so if you're around we'd love to meet up. Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

o my goodness we miss that little girl!! O ya...and you guys too! Glad your back to the blogging world....cant wait to see this little dude grow up!